The Man Who Sold The World

 David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World

(4 min 35 sec)

  • Some of the lyrics are based on a poem by Hugh Mearns called The Psychoed:

    As I was going up the stair
    I met a man who was not there
    He wasn't there again today
    I wish that man would go away


We passed upon the stair
We spoke of was and when
Although I wasn't there
He said I was his friend
Which came as some surprise
I spoke into his eyes
"I thought you died alone
A long long time ago."

"Oh no, not me
I never lost control
You're face to face
With the man who sold the world."

I laughed and shook his hand
And made my way back home
I searched for form and land
For years and years I roamed
I gazed a gazely stare
At all the millions here
We must have died alone
A long long time ago

Who knows? Not me
We never lost control
You're face to face
With the man who sold the world (x2)

David Bowie-The Man Who Sold the World
Official Lyrics Video (4 min 1 sec)


Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World
MTV Unplugged in New York (3 min 37 sec)